Flat sheets made with the finest material
A flat sheet, also known as a top sheet, are flat rectangular cloth pieces that fold easily and lie flat on any surface. It is usually placed on top of the fitted sheet, and over one’s body during sleep. It lays beneath the duvet or blanket. What is the purpose of a flat sheet on a bed and how to use a flat sheet? The flat sheet is used to protect the duvet cover from dirt and dust, thus reducing the frequency needed to wash the duvet cover. If there is no duvet used, the flat sheet can also make the bed appear more neat and inviting, and double up as a lightweight blanket during the summer.
A flat sheet is a flat piece of cloth that is placed on top of the fitted sheet. It protects the duvet cover from getting dirty and can also be used as a blanket.
Flat sheets and fitted sheets come in a range of sizes based on the size of your bed.
HGTV shares a method on how to make hospital corners so the flat sheet or top sheet is snug and neat.
1. Put on the fitted sheet. Lay the flat sheet centered across the bed.
2. Fold down the the top end of the flat sheet to desired width
3. Tuck in the excess fabric at the foot of the bed beneath the mattress so that it is tight and smooth.
4. Grab the lower edge of the sheet that’s overhanging one side of the bed. On the other hand, hold on to the corner of the flat sheet. Pull back at an angle to tighten the fabric around the corner edge of the bed.
5. Keeping the sheet taut so that the fabric forms a "triangle."
6. Let the top part flip back onto the bed, and let it rest there. The fabric wrapped around the corner of the mattress should remain taut. Tuck the bottom part of the triangle under the mattress first.
7. Once in place, flip the top part of the triangle down, and tuck it under the mattress as well for a crisp edge. Continue to tuck the loose edge all the way up to the headboard.
8. Repeat the process on the other side of your bed.
Put your duvet into the duvet cover. Put on the fitted sheet over the mattress as per usual. Place the flat sheet over the fitted sheet, followed by the duvet.
Some hotels use a method called “Triple sheeting”, which is more cost efficient and ensures greater hygiene. 2 flat sheets are needed, where the duvet is placed between 2 layers of flat sheet. If you are doing this at home, you can create a reversible look by mixing 2 flat sheet colours. Learn more about this duvet cover and flat sheet hack.
A top sheet is the same as a flat sheet. A top/ flat sheet is placed on top of the fitted sheet, as a protective layer for the bedding laid over it such as the duvet, comforter or blanket.